Pack a picnic and take your parties outside! Authors and food writers Marnie Hanel, Andrea Slonecker and Jen Stevenson believe picnicking is an effortless way to entertain. In their recent book, The Picnic: Recipes and Inspiration from Basket to Blanket (Artisan, 2015), the offer dozens of creative dishes, shopping guides and advice for the novice picnicker. Try the following blueberry crisp recipe for an herbal twist on a classic.
Take your summer blueberry crop straight from the patch to the jar with darling single portions of a classic crisp.
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup rolled oats
• 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
• 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
• 4 cups fresh blueberries
• 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
• 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In the Basket:
• Vanilla bean ice cream on dry ice (if serving ice cream)
• Ice cream scoop (if serving ice cream)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. To make the topping: In a bowl, stir together the flour, oats, brown sugar, cardamom, and salt. Add the butter and rub the mixture together with your fingertips until the butter is broken into pea-size bits. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
3. To make the filling: In a bowl, stir together the blueberries, brown sugar, cornstarch, salt, and lemon zest and juice.
4. Divide the blueberry filling evenly among eight 4-ounce heatproof glass jars, pressing on the berries with the back of a spoon so that they are snug in the jar, and leaving about 1⁄4-inch headspace for the topping. Spoon the topping into each jar, dividing it evenly. Place the jars on the prepared baking sheet and bake until the topping is crisp and the filling is bubbling slightly, 18 to 20 minutes. Makes 8.
Enjoy more herbal desserts with The Picnic’s Lavender-Lemon Cream Pots Recipe.
Excerpted from The Picnic by Marnie Hanel, Andrea Slonecker, and Jen Stevenson (Artisan Books). Copyright (c) 2015. Illustrations by Emily Isabella.